Forum: Archive RSS
GHF Heightfield Data
Analysis of ghf file

Announcement

2008-11-05, 13:54 by Keshire
Rules for posting on this site.
Follow them or have your posting rights removed or be banned.

[cut=Full List Of Rules]*  If a topic makes no sense to you, do not ask broad questions about it.  We have a lot of developer posts that will make no sense to someone who doesn't know how to program or has not taken the time to explore the game files.

*  All modifications we release for the xbox will require a modified xbox.  Ask for instruction and then tell us you don't have one will result in banning/deletion of all posts for failure to read instructions.  THERE WILL BE NO SAVES ON THIS SITE SO DO NOT REQUEST THEM.

*  We do not endorse pirating.  Suggesting or asking for such will get you banned.  If you like a game BUY IT.  People worked hard to make something to entertain you, it's the least you can do.  If you are caught without one of these you will be banned.

*  Posting of original game files is strictly prohibited.  If you have code to share post just the code you have made.  Only attach files if you have created an application or something similar that requires the attachment.  If you made many changes to a file but did not change ALL of it then post a PPF or something similar to avoid posting any original code at all.  Do not link to original files either.  Either way it's just the same as posting them here.

*  Harassing admins/moderators through PM/Email because of your own inability to work things out with other people in the forums will result in loss of PM an removal of ability to post.

*  Harassing admins/moderators through PM/Email because of your own inability to read posts and stickies in the forums with any compitence will result in loss of PM an removal of ability to post.

*  Harassing or just flooding a topic/person because you are too lazy to use search will get your posting rights removed.  Search exists for a reason and we won't deal with people that constantly ask for things that are easy to find with search.

*  Public bashing of other members will get your posts removed.  If it is done repeatedly you will get your account banned.

*  Posting a reply to merely say you don't know or you also want to know something is a waste of space and all of our collective time (assuming you weren't asked directly, but if you were it probably should have been done in PM).  Repeated offenders will get their posting rights removed.

*  Do not cross post questions/requests in forums.  Pick the appropriate forum and post it there.  People read in all of the forums and don't need to see the extra spam.

*  Everything on this site is provided AS IS.  If you use a tool that someone wrote here and it crashes your computer, we don't care.  The programmer should be informed with as much information as you can provide in order to prevent that from happening again though.

*  Being an open forum, try to contribute to it.  As in by helping crack file formats or developing new tools or game modifications.  Leeches are never appreciated.  Especially when they are ungrateful for the work that other people put into doing something for them.  Being ungrateful is a very quick path to being banned.

*  Lack of acting like a mature person or inability to type in proper english or something close to it will not be tolerated (i.e. l33t,ALL CAPS, or IM shorthand).

Basically, this is a technically based Fable modding site.  This is NOT a playground. [/cut]

If you have a problem with these rules, don't come here.

Failure to not read the stickies on forums (like this one) is not an excuse.  Failure to read this post is also not an excuse.
cultofbyron #1
Member since Jul 2013 · 3 posts · Location: Ilkley, West Yorkshire
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: GHF Heightfield Data
So, after 11 years of tinkering and bimbling around and pestering coders who had long since moved on from this, I've managed to get something sensible out of the ghf heightfield files.

Focusing on the Brightwood ghf (ch3heightfieldabandfarm_id_926492ed.ghf) I could not see any discernible pattern in the data.  So on a whim I decided to open it in 7zip and voila: export360/data/worlds/albion/brightwood/heightfields/ch3heightfieldabandfarm_id_926492ed.ghf about 8Mb.

First 14 bytes of nowt, then two integers of 769 (suspiciously like image dimensions) followed by a repeating pattern of 14 bytes throughout the file neatly organised into two columns.

*Cracks knuckles and opens Photoshop, 5 minutes later...:*

I renamed the extracted ghf file as a raw and with the following settings:

Dimensions
Width: 769
Height: 769

Channels
Count: 14
Interleaved: ✓
Depth: 8-bits

Header Size: 20 bytes

[Image: https://i.ibb.co/Pm33Twk/Brightwood-Heightmap.jpg]

:cool:

Ok, so not perfect, but usable and a massive step in the right direction, another 11 years and it'll be about there!

I can probably work with this for what I need to do, and I will get onto the Fable 3 ones once I've done these.
cultofbyron #2
Member since Jul 2013 · 3 posts · Location: Ilkley, West Yorkshire
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
So I've managed to make some headway with these heightmap files so that I am now able to convert most of the .ghf files exported from levels.bnk into usable greyscale images*.

Brightwood (Spring):
[Image: https://i.ibb.co/KLTQtn0/Brightwood.jpg]

This was achieved by renaming the uncompressed .ghf file to a .raw and opening in Photoshop with the previously mentioned settings.

Selecting the Channels tab revealed 3 channels for RGB, in this case the greyscale channel was G, and there followed several other layers which seem to contain texture information and paths, which will probably be useful when creating world and local maps.

I then deleted every channel but the greyscale.  However, this still needed some work.
It seemed that at the midpoint (128)  maybe due to the way the file is structured/endianness(?)/decompression, with high and low points rendered as 0-255 separately:
[Image: https://i.ibb.co/g7wtYQY/brightwoodglitch.jpg]

So all I did here was select the darker portions first, paste to a new layer and lighten them, then darken the lighter portions.  Then I flipped vertically to get the first image in this post.

As you can see, there is still a little glitching at the bottom right but as this is not a traversable part of the Brightwood region, I can fix this either by smoothing in Photoshop before exporting the final .bmp or .raw file, or by smoothing the terrain in the Construction Set/Creation Kit.

Right, on to Fable 3 and the rest of the Fable 2 .mdls I need!

• - Not all of the .ghf files exported from levels.bnk were usable so I went into Hex Workshop and just exported them manually, which has so far worked fine with Westcliff and Wraithmarsh.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Not logged in. · Lost password · Registration disabled
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 178.4 ms (58.2 ms) · 42 database queries in 140.4 ms
Current time: 2024-03-29, 07:44:33 (UTC -07:00)