Forum: Archive RSS
Checklist (Important)

Announcement

2008-11-05, 13:54 by Keshire
Rules for posting on this site.
Follow them or have your posting rights removed or be banned.

[cut=Full List Of Rules]*  If a topic makes no sense to you, do not ask broad questions about it.  We have a lot of developer posts that will make no sense to someone who doesn't know how to program or has not taken the time to explore the game files.

*  All modifications we release for the xbox will require a modified xbox.  Ask for instruction and then tell us you don't have one will result in banning/deletion of all posts for failure to read instructions.  THERE WILL BE NO SAVES ON THIS SITE SO DO NOT REQUEST THEM.

*  We do not endorse pirating.  Suggesting or asking for such will get you banned.  If you like a game BUY IT.  People worked hard to make something to entertain you, it's the least you can do.  If you are caught without one of these you will be banned.

*  Posting of original game files is strictly prohibited.  If you have code to share post just the code you have made.  Only attach files if you have created an application or something similar that requires the attachment.  If you made many changes to a file but did not change ALL of it then post a PPF or something similar to avoid posting any original code at all.  Do not link to original files either.  Either way it's just the same as posting them here.

*  Harassing admins/moderators through PM/Email because of your own inability to work things out with other people in the forums will result in loss of PM an removal of ability to post.

*  Harassing admins/moderators through PM/Email because of your own inability to read posts and stickies in the forums with any compitence will result in loss of PM an removal of ability to post.

*  Harassing or just flooding a topic/person because you are too lazy to use search will get your posting rights removed.  Search exists for a reason and we won't deal with people that constantly ask for things that are easy to find with search.

*  Public bashing of other members will get your posts removed.  If it is done repeatedly you will get your account banned.

*  Posting a reply to merely say you don't know or you also want to know something is a waste of space and all of our collective time (assuming you weren't asked directly, but if you were it probably should have been done in PM).  Repeated offenders will get their posting rights removed.

*  Do not cross post questions/requests in forums.  Pick the appropriate forum and post it there.  People read in all of the forums and don't need to see the extra spam.

*  Everything on this site is provided AS IS.  If you use a tool that someone wrote here and it crashes your computer, we don't care.  The programmer should be informed with as much information as you can provide in order to prevent that from happening again though.

*  Being an open forum, try to contribute to it.  As in by helping crack file formats or developing new tools or game modifications.  Leeches are never appreciated.  Especially when they are ungrateful for the work that other people put into doing something for them.  Being ungrateful is a very quick path to being banned.

*  Lack of acting like a mature person or inability to type in proper english or something close to it will not be tolerated (i.e. l33t,ALL CAPS, or IM shorthand).

Basically, this is a technically based Fable modding site.  This is NOT a playground. [/cut]

If you have a problem with these rules, don't come here.

Failure to not read the stickies on forums (like this one) is not an excuse.  Failure to read this post is also not an excuse.
Page:  1  2  next 
JohnDoe Moderator #1
User title: Community Pet
Member since Nov 2008 · 19 posts · Location: Texas
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Checklist
Models, textures, and related files.

GMD
Game mesh data. Not the model, but information pertaining to the model. Most models have one.
HKX
Related to models. Looks just like the HAVOK_SCENARIO files. Model physics?
HPB
Related to models.
MDL
Models. xsi. Hopefully not the latest xsi. Link to thread.
MOF
Skeletal morphs. Plain text.
BNK-Particles
Effects data (effects.big?).
TEX
Textures. Very likely to be DXTn. Swizzling is a possibility, compression is a definite. Compression is unknown.
BGF
Related to GUI art, third party stuff.
BSG
Related to GUI art, third party stuff.
FAC
Related to GUI art. Lists of UVs. Plain text.
DDS
Image container.

Animation files.

ANIMATION_DATA
Animation data.
ANIMATION_TOC
Related to animation data.
LOCO
Looks like animation data. The top looks to determine what animations are used and when. The bottom has what looks like a list of animations.  Link to thread

Audio, language and related files.
Notes: No XMA2 codec exists.

ADB
Audio. Compressed. Link to thread.
WAV
Audio. XMA2.
AMP
Related to audio, looks like settings. XML/plain text.
CSV
Filehashes, one for audio files, the other for language files. Excel spreadsheet document.
BIN
Lip sync data. Thread.
BABEL
Related to region-specific text files.
BFT
Related to region-specific fonts.

Level files.

AMA
Related to height field data. "ADMP".
AMM
AMR
EHF
Related to height field data. "HeightFieldGraphicsFile".
HDB
Related to height field data.
GENV
Contains environment map data.  Link to thread
GHF
Related to height field data. First 4 bytes are 1F8B0808, but I don't think this is header info.
LMP
Might be related to height field data. Same header as the GHF files. The rest looks the same too.
AI_CONFIG
Related to path finding data. XML/plain text.
AIM
Related to path finding data. Kynogon Mesh.
FDL
Related to path finding data. Kynogon FindNearest Data.
PDL
Related to path finding data. Kynogon Spatial graph.
PPD
Related to path finding data.
MIST
Assuming it to determine where mist is.
WATER
Assuming it to determine where water is.
DAT
All named lightprobesdata.dat. Level lighting?
ENGINE_DATA
Not a clue except for the header. "EngineResourceList".
ENGINE_LEVEL
Stores links to other files such as heightmaps and flora models and has instancing data for flora. Link to thread.
HAVOK_SCENARIO
Level physics?
SAVE
XML/plain text. UIDs?
TEXTURE_ATLAS
Guessing that these determine what textures are used where on the maps.

Other files.

BIK
Videos. Bink. Player available here.
BNK
Compressed archives. Link to thread.
LUA
Scripts. There's one for nearly every component of the game.
SBK
Shader data. ShaderBankFile.
SWF
Pubgames. Flash 8/AS2. Decompiling produces FLA along with AS files, Javascript/plain text.
XML
XML/plain text. These are for the pubgames. Some determine settings, others are in-game text.
GDB
Looks like a list of stuff (Names.bin?). Link to post.
LIST
Plain text, each has a list of corresponding files. (Map lists have map files listed, GUI lists have GUI files listed, etc. and so on.)
MANIFEST
Plain text, list of files on the disc.
TXT
Plain text. Some of these are lists, others look like they serve some purpose.
XEX
Executable. LZX compressed?

Known.
Not sure or incomplete.
Unknown.

To those who can, edit as you please.
You're a moderator, Silver, you could have fixed it. <_<
But I only edit posts for bad reasons. :-D
Douche.  :)
An optimist is a pessimist in the making.
This post was edited 20 times, last on 2009-07-02, 19:18 by JohnDoe.
LittleCodingFox #2
Member since Nov 2008 · 34 posts
Group memberships: Members
I really wish i could help...

I usually have lots of free time, even if it's 2 or 3 hours (you wouldnt imagine what i can do with 2-3 hours...  :-D ).

Does anyone have any tips on how i could get started on decoding file formats so i can try to at least help you guys?
OldBoy #3
Member since Nov 2008 · 1 post · Location: Groningen
Silver pointed this out before. click = pdf
JohnDoe Moderator #4
Heh, I was looking for that. I only skimmed the first time, just grabbing what info I could learn and skipping what was over my head. I could probably pick up a lot more reading through it now.
Silver Moderator #5
Member since Nov 2008 · 4 posts
Yeah the Kynogon stuff is Kynapse. It is AI pathfinding stuff.

Just look at the customer showcase.

Also the xex is the executable shouldn't be red.
Keshire Administrator #6
Member since Nov 2008 · 29 posts
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
The heavy reliance on Havok and Kynapse is going to make adding and editing models a HUGE pain in the ass. That's the type of stuff that Lionhead would need to release 3ds max plugin suites and an internal editor for. Ala Crysis.

I don't see models being feasible this time around.

And even after that, Fable 2's pandering to the lowest common denominator would mean that the process to get those models in-game would be beyond their base audience.
Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
morerunes #7
User title: Awesome
Member since Nov 2008 · 2 posts · Location: IL
Well, that sucks. Guess my modeling skills won't be needed here unfortunately. Especially since that's a big portion of what I do with modding.

Good luck on getting more formats down, it looks like Lionhead has made it real hard to edit levels or models, which from my view means there aren't going to be any real good mods out there, just the basic game script edits and game-breaking-cheat mods. Maybe a texture pack and a new sound bank or something.
Don't eat yourself.
JohnDoe Moderator #8
Yea, this doesn't look too bright. Ironic though, game scripts but no assets.
Keshire Administrator #9
Quote by JohnDoe:
Yea, this doesn't look too bright. Ironic though, game scripts but no assets.

It's like the complete opposite of Fable 1. The point is just further pushed by the included plain text gameflow.

:nuts:  <_<  :-/  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Also, the FAC/BGF/BSG GUI stuff is third party. Like Havok and Kynapse...
Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
This post was edited on 2008-12-02, 21:40 by Keshire.
morerunes #10
User title: Awesome
Member since Nov 2008 · 2 posts · Location: IL
Yeah, I know about the third party stuff, been reading around the forum, but the way they set it up is making it hard. Oblivion was very obviously .nif files, and dds files, while this is something else (or at least the archives are screwy). Both are Havok for physics.
Don't eat yourself.
Silver Moderator #11
Member since Nov 2008 · 4 posts
I'll go with Fable 2 being easier than Fable 1. Nothing is more of a game killer than compiled quests. Assets may be harder this time around, let's face it they weren't easy the first time around (years!). We weren't here for a easy game to mod. We would of left long ago if we wanted that. The problem right now is we don't have a way to mod it. If we can get into modifying the NXE game dumps then we are set. If we are stuck with burning discs to test, even if someone manages to get this to a single layer dvd, it is dead right from the start. Nobody will want to do that and who would make the content? Fable 1 we at least had access to the game files while we were playing it on Xbox. We don't have that now. I almost have my 360 ready to play around with the NXE dumps (I am prepared to cry when I do).

How many people have that kind of access already? Just curious.
LittleCodingFox #12
Member since Nov 2008 · 34 posts
Well, if you ask me, even if Fable 2 on the 360 is epic hard to mod, we shouldnt just give up hope. I mean, i'm here even if i dont have a 360 (tho i have the original Limited Collectors Edition).

After all, it was confirmed by various sources that Fable 2 will have a PC version, so we should work on modding, even if it's, as i said, epic hard, because hopefully what we modded on the 360 will also work on the PC. It worked that way with Fable 1, didnt it?

Good luck for everyone trying to crack their formats. I'll be here watching, writing tools if i get the chance.

Peace.
JohnDoe Moderator #13
Yea, no one said anything about packing up and closing shop. We're still here. ;-)

It would be a lot more convenient to mod this on PC, and a PC release was going to happen (rule of thumb: if Peter says it, disbelieve it), the question was when. I'm still skeptical about the rumors of a February release, though. Some of the Fable 1 formats were a little different between the two platforms, but not so significantly that the XBox formats were useless for PC.

And I'm sure everyone will agree that an additional coder is always welcome, and is in fact, way awesome. We don't exactly have people waiting in lines or anything.
Keshire Administrator #14
I agree. And with the power that it looks like the scripts have it should be possible to completely rape the game's mechanics and quests. Much more so than with Fable 1.

At least as soon as we can decompile lua 5.1, and model-wise I'm sure weapons won't be much of the pain that all the ragdoll stuff is.

I've been really low on time here at work and at home recently. But once that time frees up I'll be all over the formats again.

And MDL models are a pretty generic format used by a wide variety of games.
Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Zamurick #15
Member since Feb 2009 · 4 posts · Location: BC (Canada)
I have a Fable II NXE game dump on my PC right now, however, I'm stuck with 42 part split archive of Fable II that I don't know what to do with.

JohnDoe told me on IRC that another member has managed to get the raw contents of the dump, but I haven't, and a tutorial on that would be extremely helpful.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
Not logged in. · Lost password · Registration disabled
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 271.9 ms (104.2 ms) · 80 database queries in 206.3 ms
Current time: 2024-04-25, 03:04:53 (UTC -07:00)